How Important Is Hiring The Right Bankruptcy Lawyer?
When you are drowning in debt, it can be hard to know what steps you can take. You may not be able to see a clear path to a debt-free future, and you may have questions that an Internet search simply cannot answer.
An experienced bankruptcy and debt relief lawyer can answer your questions; create a custom debt strategy for you; represent you in court and in negotiations with creditors; and protect your interests at every stage of your case. At the law firm of Marcus H. Herbert & Associates in Paducah, Kentucky, we provide clients with the advice and support they need throughout the process.
You Need Representation During Bankruptcy
Bankruptcy can provide the debt relief you need when you have fallen behind on your mortgage, credit card bills, medical debt and other forms of debt. But bankruptcy is not something you should try to do on your own. It is a complicated process that requires legal representation.
A qualified attorney can:
- Guide you through the bankruptcy process, including completing and filing forms, claiming the right exemptions, as well as attending hearings
- Answer your questions about the process and ensure that you understand all of the components, benefits and consequences of your bankruptcy filing
- Determine the type of bankruptcy that meets your needs, whether it is Chapter 7 or Chapter 13
- Provide custom solutions to your debt problems, including helping stop foreclosure, repossession or garnishment
How to Choose a Bankruptcy Lawyer
Your choice of an attorney is important. With the right attorney by your side, you can get your finances back on track and prevent potential problems with debt down the road.
When selecting an attorney, it is important to:
- Speak with several attorneys: Meet with several attorneys in order to find one who suits your needs. You also want to find an attorney who you feel comfortable with and who understands your needs. Ask lots of questions and make sure your attorney is right for you.
- Find a lawyer with experience: Not any attorney can handle a bankruptcy. An experienced bankruptcy lawyer can help you avoid potential pitfalls and common mistakes. An excellent lawyer can often remove judgment liens from your land, avoid a second mortgage on your home if your home is worth less than what you owe on the first mortgage, and sometimes even get back some of your money if your wages have been recently garnished. We focus our entire practice on debt relief, and personal and business bankruptcy and have more than two decades of experience helping clients get debt relief.
- Find a local attorney: You want an attorney who knows the local federal bankruptcy court and who understands the community you come from. Located in Paducah, we have helped thousands of clients in western Kentucky and southern Illinois.
Contact a Chapter 7 and 13 Lawyer in Paducah
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.